Getting to Know You (and your work!)
The Gift Theatre is excited meet (or re-meet) actors working in Chicago. While we are casting for our mainstage productions of Mothers by Anna Moench directed by Lili-Anne Brown and The Rise and Fall of Little Voice by Jim Cartwright directed by Devon de Mayo, we are also looking for artists to play with us for various readings for our In the Works series and other workshops that may come up throughout the year.
Even if we’ve seen your work, or worked with you, we also acknowledge that as humans and artists we have all evolved and learned so much in the last year or two, so think of this as an opportunity to introduce us to who you are today, in this moment.
In order to protect each other, we’re doing this virtually this year, in hopes that next year we can do these in person.
Therefore we are asking for two unlisted YouTube videos:
1) A short intro video stating:
– your preferred name
– whether you’re local to Chicago (or able to work locally)
– Your favorite theater memory (this can be as an artist or an audience member) or simply anything you’d like us to know about you.
2) Because we are an ensemble company, it is most important to know how well you play with a scene partner. So there shall be no monologues as part of this process. We’ve included a handful of sides from previous Gift Theatre productions. Please pick ONE side and ONE role. When taping, please make sure the camera picks up on your face and voice, and let your scene partner be off camera. You may choose from scenes from:
– Wolf Play by Hansonl Jung
– Pillowman by Martin McDonagh
– Mine by Laura Marks
– Grapes of Wrath by Frank Galati
– 200 ft and Counting by Marco Ramirez
**We’ve included scripts so you can give as full of an audition as possible. While you don’t need to be completely memorized, we encourage you to take the time to be prepared enough to play with your scene partner. We do ask that you do not share these scripts or sides beyond this audition.**
The Gift Theatre is looking for new people to join our board! As a member of The Board of Directors, you will support the work of The Gift Theatre and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by The Gift Theatre Artistic and Managing Directors, the Board-Director relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected.
Please check back later for opportunities.