The giftED. Ensemble is a fun and intense afterschool program for high school students on Chicago’s Northwest side. Creative and motivated students spend two years with the award winning Gift Theatre, learning about the theatre (from what it takes to build a company to the choices made by artists on and off stage) and developing their own artistic voice.
What would I do as a member of giftED.?
giftED. Ensemble members experience what it takes to make a play and build a company through ensemble work with their giftED. peers and mentorship by theatre professionals.
Year One is an immersive experience with the Gift. Students commit to once a week after-school workshops and attend Gift productions. Students will:
• meet with Gift artists and sit in on auditions, rehearsals, new play readings, board meetings and other opportunities occurring throughout the year;
• play, create, and build ensemble theatre through workshops in acting, directing, improve, writing, and design;
• read, analyze, and discuss Gift plays and theatre literature.
Year Two Students pick a focus (acting, directing, writing, improv, design, management., etc.) and are individually mentored by Gift theatre professionals.
Why would you want to miss out on that?
Who can join?
The giftED. Ensemble is open to all freshman and sophomore high school students on Chicago’s Northwest side. This program is best for creative and motivated young people who are interested in the arts and willing to commit their best abilities, skills, and passions to something they love about theatre.
- Work with professional artists and peers to explore the theatre and develop your own creative voice.
- Understand how a theatre company works and the people/resources that it takes to build a company.
- See great theatre at The Gift for free.
- Learn how to read, analyze, and talk about plays.
- Gain valuable public speaking and organizational skills.
- Play an important role in an established Chicago theatre.
- Create an artistic project with an ensemble of peers.
Is there a cost?
There is a $100 fee per year for participation. This fee goes to help ticket and supply costs. Each year, The Gift awards two scholarships called The Dr. Gerald Gawlik Scholarship for the Arts, which cover the cost of tuition.
For More Information:
Contact Director of giftED.
Lindsey Barlag Thornton